Rotten Tomatoes API Forums

General

RSS Feed

API limits for an iphone app

1. Hi, We're developing an iphone app which uses the RT api, and are wondering how the limits apply? I believe its 10k calls per day, does this apply for all users of the API key, or does it apply per IP address using the key? Thanks a lot

Message edited by Digital5 Sydney 3 years ago

2. Steve N.3 years ago

Hello Digital5, Yes, it is 10,000 per day and the 10,000 applies for all users of the key for that day. Here's a quick example to illustrate:

Your iPhone app has 2 users, David and Sarah. Monday morning, David makes 8,000 Api calls. You will have 2,000 Api calls left for the day. That same day, at night, Sarah makes 2,000 Api calls. When she tries to make her 2001th call, it will fail, as you will have gone overquota. If she waits for Tuesday, then she will be able to make calls again, as the 10,000/day has been reset. IP does not factor into the 10k limit.

Hope that clarifies things.

3. Joost van der Borg3 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. For these kinds of applications the limit could quickly become a problem. A website/webapp could cache request results fairly easily, but if each request from any user of an iPhone app counts against the limit, you could hit it fairly soon. If you have 1000 users, each could only do 10 requests, say do 5 searches for movies and view details, before no user could access the api any more. Is there any way that, if something becomes very popular for instance, api limits could be raised per app? Alternatively, is it possible for an alternative (lower) limit (per IP for instance) to be instituted instead?

4. Steve N.3 years ago

Hi Joost,

Is there any way that, if something becomes very popular for instance, api limits could be raised per app?

Yes, let us know when you need your api limit to be raised, and we'll be happy to bump it up.

Alternatively, is it possible for an alternative (lower) limit (per IP for instance) to be instituted instead?

We do not support this currently and I am unsure when or if this will be done in the near future.

-Steve

[ Page 1 of 1 ]